I think that the best game plan is to prepare the dishes the day before. This will save on time and keep my kitchen clean. My menu idea is:
Assorted breakfast breads (cranberry, pumpkin)
Juice, Coffee, Hot Cocoa, Tea (Milk for the little ones)
The strata and fruit salad can be assembled and put into the frig, then I can bake the strata in the morning. The breads can be baked and wrapped in foil, then warmed in the oven. I can also set the table the night before so everything will be ready to roll! My oldest daughter and her boyfriend will be here, so there will be seven of us. Perfect size for our small dining room.
Here's the strata recipe I've picked out:
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) herb or cheese bakery bread, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with sausage; sprinkle with cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
So, what do you think? Do you have any special recipes that you like to use for Christmas breakfast? I'd love to collect more recipes!Thank you for dropping by during this busy time of year! Hugs, Leena