Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fluffy Little Visitors

A few weeks ago, I noticed two house wrens running back and forth on my deck. Curious as to what they were up to, I observed them for several minutes, then realized that they were entering our screened porch via a whole in the wood at the bottom of the door (I really need to get a new door). At first, I thought, "Oh great! More birds in the porch. At least they seem to know how to get back out". We had had a different type of bird in the porch previously who could not find the door again, even after I propped it open! It took forever to lead him outside! Anyway, I soon realized that the pair were busily working on building a nest!
House Wren. Photo by allaboutbirds.org
The porch is a nice place to live if you're a bird. It offers shelter from the hot sun and rain, is quiet and private, and is safe from predators (maybe I should live out there!). These cute, chubby little birds with tails that stick straight up into the air are known to violently evict owners of a nest they set their sights upon, they are also excellent nest builders and will often choose a flower pot in which to erect their home.
allaboutbirds.org
 Before long, the tiny twosome had traded in the grasses and sticks they'd carried for worms and other bugs, indicating that the babies had hatched! Despite my best attempts, I could not manage to see the babies from inside the house, until one day, when my daughter noticed that the babies were sitting on one of the porch rails. We had thought that they were getting ready to leave the nest as the parents had been frantically jumping around and screeching for a few days. I believe this was an attempt to get the babies to leave the porch and follow them. Everything was nice and orderly until Abigail stuck her head out the door to call to her mother. This sent the babies into a feather flying fury before they ultimately made their way out to the deck.
Four Baby House Wrens On Screened Porch

It's nice to have our porch back but I didn't mind the delay. Getting the opportunity to see nature up close and personal is totally worth it!

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!
Hugs, Leena

2 comments:

  1. Leena,
    How cute!!! You crack me up you should live out there LOL! Very sweet post.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwe! I love watching the birds! What a wonderful event to have front row seats to enjoy! I enjoyed reading about it, Leena! Thanks for sharing.
    - Julie xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...