Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

And We're Off!

Moving! Is there much else that can be so exciting and so stressful at the same time? OK, maybe childbirth comes in a close second, but that's about all I can think of right now! After a horrible experience with the movers we hired that left me in tears, we spent the night at a hotel up the road, before departing the next day.

Oh what fun it is to ride in a van, we're on our way!



We left Virginia Saturday around noon in a rental van packed with some luggage, 3 adults, 2 kids, 2 pups and 3 guinea pigs, all headed to our new home and new life in North Myrtle Beach, SC! We decided that instead of driving all of the separate cars, we'd have them transported and rent a large van, so we could all arrive together! It was comforting for my daughter, who drove the whole way, to have other adults with her, while I navigated and did DVD duty to keep the kids entertained (I think that Jim enjoyed the movies too!). He also did a lot of pup sitting and kid wrangling when things got restless. The trip was very pleasant and we got down here in about 7 and a half hours, just like the GPS said we would!

On our way out of town, we spotted this vintage truck all decked out for Christmas, so of course I had to take a picture of it! We hit Dunkin Donuts for coffee and breakfast and headed south. It was really fun to have everybody together and we ended up laughing at the silliest things! I think being super tired had something to do with that, although I do fully admit to being goofy at any opportunity.

We hit a rest stop just inside of North Carolina and they had this huge windmill! The pups went for a nice walk and we all stretched our legs, picked up some sodas and water and were on the road again! I was so disappointed when we had to exit off of I-95 after only seeing nine South of the Border billboards! What's worse, we didn't even get to see this icon of tourism! I actually stayed there with my family on a trip to Florida back in the late 60's. It's so wonderfully tacky! We decided that we'll have to go there on vacation some time.


We crossed the South Carolina state line with a hoop and a holler! When we got close, Jim insisted that we drive by the house before picking up our cars and we couldn't figure out why. He wanted us all to arrive together and when we saw our new home, his reason was revealed!

He is such a kind-hearted, sweet and wonderful person! He had these Christmas lights strung by a company down here, since I'd been missing our decorations. What a fabulous surprise it was! So beautifully done and just perfect! It was just what we all needed to break the stress and fatigue of the last few days. My daughter squealed, the kids screamed and I jumped up and down while hugging Jim! It was great! The dogs even seemed to enjoy the site! Everybody ran into the house and scrambled to find their rooms. The painters were still hard at work, transforming the kids' rooms with the colors they chose. They're so sweet, wanting our home to be perfect for us when we settle in. They are also painting our room and putting doors on the bathroom entry. The room where the sink is doesn't have a door for some reason and that won't do. And, as if that wasn't enough, they're working on a few repairs that our agent discovered - all before Christmas! I haven't looked at our room yet because I want to see it all finished.



We spent the night at the house, because our belongings were supposed to arrive today. Jim and I slept on this nice, comfortable reclining sofa that we got from the seller and Shannon and the kids slept in her room on an air mattress. Today was partially spent in the back yard, doing more exploring and enjoying, then we took the kids for a big surprise! THE BEACH! They had no idea how close it is to our new home - a 5 minute drive! They guessed it was 2 hours and were so excited when we pulled up and they saw the water! The silly things actually went into the ocean - brrrrr! Chloe loved it but Fenway didn't! He slipped right out of his harness and ran back to where I was sitting! Meanwhile, Chloe romped in the waves, biting at the water and having a ball! The kids got soaked and didn't even seem to mind the fact that the water was undoubtedly chilly. We let them play for about an hour and then headed back to the house to gather our things to take to a hotel. All I have to say is that the movers better show up with our stuff tomorrow! I am happy to have a real bed to sleep in and WiFi is great so that I can post this! Ours won't be connected until December 26th! We're all going into withdrawal!

That's the latest on our big adventure! Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you'll come back! Here's a sneak peek at our new back yard! I'll write more about it next time!

Have a great week! Hugs, Leena

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure Leena! Congrats on your new home I can't wait to hear more. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie! I'm sorry that with all the moving craziness, I didn't see your comment until now. Thank you so mufh for your well wishes and for taking the time to read and comment on my post! Take care! Hugs,Leena

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...