Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 Days of Being Thankful - November 10 - Thrift Shops

November 10 - Today I am thankful for thrift shops, especially the ones that serve local charities. I really enjoy shopping these treasures troves and I love the circle of giving that they provide. It's like this: I shop, the charity gets my money. I have something nice and inexpensive for my home or to rework into a piece to sell. If I sell it, I earn money for my family and I then return to the shop for more goods, the charity gets that money, and so on. It feels great to support the awesome work that the charities do and to support my family at the same time! I also donate to these thrift shops, thus providing members of my community goods that they need.

Today I was on my annual hunt for orphaned Santas. I started a collection years ago and if you were following my blog last year, you may have read about the 2011 hunt (HERE). I used to purchase hand carved chalk ware Santas from a favorite shop that held the most wonderful holiday open house. My friend and I would attend each year and we enjoyed it so much! Everything smelled like Christmas, looked like Christmas, sounded like Christmas and tasted like Christmas (they put out a buffet of cookies and other goodies that was fabulous!). Sadly, the owner retired a few years ago and the shop was closed. As a result, I started looking in other shops, then turned my attention to the local thrifts. Today, I found these fine gentlemen:
The one on the left is porcelain and has this beautiful cascading blue hooded robe and a reindeer. The other has the appearance of being carved (although he's resin) and hangs from the top of an evergreen tree, carrying his bag of goodies while a snowman precariously watches from below. I guess I should have turned him around so you could see the snowman.

They were only 50 cents each - come on home, boys! While there, I also found this sweet salt and pepper set.
I have a few Christmas sets, but this one has a nice vintage look to it that appealed to me and at $2.50 for the set, I couldn't resist. I also spotted some holiday linens and ended up with this lovely round table cloth for the kitchen,
The jacquard pattern is not as white as it appears - the flash was bouncing off of it. It is a silky fabric and has a pretty holly leaf and berry pattern. I addition, I found a great table runner to go with the ivory table cloth that I will use on the dining room table.
I really like the evergreen branches and red berries along with the little tassels that hang from the ends. Both should make for very festive tables!

I'm attempting to think about Christmas a little earlier this year in an effort to get more accomplished. The last few years have been so chaotic, that we've actually decorated our tree on Christmas Eve! I haven't sent out a single card in like 4 years! I'm really hoping to do better this time.

Thank you so much for visiting my little blog world today! I hope that you're having a blessed day with lots to be thankful for! Remember, when you're shopping local this year, check out the thrift stores and share the love! Hugs, Leena

Sharing with: French Country Cottage, Feathered Nest Friday
                             No Minimalist Here, Open House Party



1 comment:

  1. What cute Santas you found. I have collected Santas for 35 years and this year I am parceling them out to my kids/grandkids. I have so much Christmas stuff that it is unbelievable. I am glad you are getting an early start. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...