Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Land Of The Free And The Home Of The Purple!


If you live in a neighborhood that has an HOA, a Home Owners' Association, this post may hit home with you. If you don't have an HOA, I'll clue you in.
 
Basically, an HOA works from a set of by-laws, outlining what residents can and cannot do with and on their property, such as "no built-in bar-b-ques, no clotheslines, fences can only be this tall and of this style, sheds must not be seen from the street, landscaping can only cover this percentage of your lot - you get the picture. They also include permitted paint colors for homes, sheds, fences, decks and anything else that can be painted. My HOA even has a brand of paint and color swatches on their website, for use on doors.
 

While on a recent walk around my area, I spotted a lovely pale purple front door. The home was a similar grey color as mine and I thought that the purple was so refreshing, unique and charming. It really gave the house something special and I silently applauded the residents for their creativity. Wouldn't you know it? About a week later, our Homeowners' newsletter came out and included a special section on door paint colors! The article specifically said "no purple doors!". Dude! You're cramping my creativity here! I really didn't see what the big deal was, but apparently the HOA spies spotted that pretty door and put the kibosh on color!
 

I'm not a complete "rebel without a clue". I know that there are reasons for rules and protocol. Heck, I studied Law Enforcement in college, so I really do understand. I just don't get rules that exist simply for the sake of having rules. Individuality is what makes us special. Sure, there are probably some colors that may offend the majority of people, but the world is not all beige, white, putty and grey! There are two "renegade" houses in my neighborhood of approximately 200 homes, that are blue. However, they are such a pale blue that they are really more like a bl than a complete blue. Our home is grey with ivory trim. When we replaced the old aluminum siding with vinyl, we went with a darker, richer grey (shhhhh! don't tell the HOA) and it reminds me a little bit of a beach house. I know, I'm such a dreamer when it comes to the beach! Our door, however, is burgundy, which does not seem to be on the current list of approved front door colors (sound the alarm!). Considering repainting, I looked at the list for something with a purple hue to it. The closest I found was so dark, that it would appear to be black from two feet away. Wait. Are we allowed to have black? I'd better check the by-laws. (sarcastic snicker)
 


This post is not intended to trash HOA's. They do serve beneficial purposes. With our dues, we get a swimming pool, tennis courts, play ground, a few beautifully landscaped common areas, trash, recycling and yard debris removal and the two large streets get snow removal (those of us on pipe stems, or shared driveways are to shovel our own. Yeah, right). I just don't see the harm in things from my childhood, like hanging laundry, having a swing set or the color purple. Look at all of the gorgeous Victorian era homes that are painted in bold colors, including purple! Look at all of these lovely door examples I found on Google. How can you admire a field of lavender and not gasp due to its beauty? Its purple beauty!

OK, I'll climb down from my soap box. I suppose I just needed to vent a little and defend one of my favorite colors and whine about paying an association for the privilege of being stuck into a way of living that I don't always agree with. I guess I'm the proverbial square peg that doesn't fit into the round hole. I kind of like it that way. I never claimed to be normal and never will! Is there a certain color door that you have or would love to have? Please tell me!

HOW ABOUT PINK? I LOVE PINK!
Thank you for stopping by today and letting me get my ramble on. Have a wonderful day!
Hugs, Leena

Linking to: Wow Us Wednesdays

4 comments:

  1. What, no purple door?! Ramble on. How about a big purple wreath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- Leena- Those people can get just crazy-I love the purple door..it matches their plantings beautifully. We lived in the historical section of town for many years and there were all kinds of rules and regulations there, too....regulated by the
    HYSTERICAL society, as I called them- rather than the HISTORICAL society.
    Some people have NO sense of humor- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those purple doors! And the pink, too... too bad some people are so fuddy-duddy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuddy duddy indeed! They really need to lighten up LOL! Thank you so much for stopping by! I wasn't able to respond to your comment via email so I hope you see this and know that I appreciate you being here! Hugs! Leena

      Delete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...